Friday, April 11, 2008

Going to camp Pendleton!

We found out today that we're going to camp Pendleton!
I'm going to be the S-6 (communications officer) for Marine Air Support Squadron 3 (MASS-3). I will be responsible for providing communications to the DASC (Direct Air Support Center) which are the Marines that coordinate air strikes, medevacs etc.
MASS-3 is currently deployed, I'm not sure for how long, or if I'll be meeting them in Iraq (Camp Fallujah) or if I'll wait here for them and deploy with them the next time.

The bad news is I may have to deploy for a year. 6-7 months is bad enough, but a year?
The good news is that they have email access in Camp Fallujah, so I'll be able to post my witty...uh...posts from Iraq.....Aren't you excited?
More bad news is that most comm-o's don't get to shoot insurgents.
More good news is that I will get to set up the radios that coordinate the airstrikes that blow them up. You win some you lose some I guess....

Right now we're looking at base housing, there are some pretty nice options although somewhat smaller, that's okay though. One housing division is right on the beach, so the boys are of course excited about that. It's right by the bay too and supposedly you can see ships leaving port.
Okay that's all for now, I just have to finish the last 55 days of comm school....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jake!! What a incredible placement!!On the Fallsbrook side is where the officers like to be and NOT the Oceanside,CA main gate. it is a little sleazy....Fallsbrook Presb church is where the chaplain for the base attends and is a mile from the gate the officers like, and it has awesome 10:30a service and pastor Kirk looks like Bill, ha ha. wonderful children's programs and the best music with top bands!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow!! I am anonymous? I signed in....Any way I hope you figured out it was your "mother-in-law". Well, I told my brother that maybe you can meet up at Camp Fallujah, with Nick. My brother had Bren listen to the voice mail I left him, that told about your blog. Love U, Mary

Jake said...

That would be great, I hadn't thought of meeting up with Nick over there. I'll have to coordinate with him if I end up going over this summer.

Pam said...

You obviously inherited your Mother's wit!